Low-dose computed tomography (LDCT) lung cancer screening is the main procedure for screening and detecting Lung Cancer. The machine scans the body and uses low doses of radiation to provide a series of detailed pictures of the lungs.
Why LDCT screening?
- STRONG sensitivity and specificity in detecting lung cancer compared to CXR
- GREATER rate of lung cancer detection at an early stage for immediate treatment
- SAFE Exposes patients to less radiation than traditional CT
- FAST Diagnosis without the use of contrast medium or fasting
*Screening with a low dose CT scan of the chest provides a means of early lung cancer detection which may lead to a 20% reduction in the mortality rate.
Lung cancer screening with LDCT once a year for those who meet the following criteria:
- Age 45 and above, and are either current smokers or have stopped smoking within the last 15 years
- Secondhand smoker
- Contact with radon, asbestos, pollutions or other cancer-causing agents
- a family history of lung cancer
Below is information regarding risks and benefits of having a Low-Dose Computed Tomography lung cancer screening:
- A screening CT looks for initial signs of disease (such as pulmonary nodules which may be an early sign of lung cancer) in healthy people while a diagnostic CT is performed when a patient has a sign or symptom of disease. Screening with a low dose CT scan of the chest provides a means of early finding of lung cancer which may lead to a reduction in lung cancer deaths.
- A low-dose CT scan of the lungs will expose you to about the same level of radiation as a screening mammogram does. the risks of screening through the organized screening program are minimal. This test uses low-dose of radiation with exposure of less than 1.5 millisieverts (mSv) of radiation. This is much less radiation than a conventional chest CT scan, which evidence suggests that the risk of cancer caused by this test is very low.
- False Positive Results: There is, approximately, a 25% chance that a nodule will be detected on a screening CT scan in a high risk individual. Most nodules are small and benign but may require surveillance or additional testing.
- Additional Testing: Detecting a nodule may require additional imaging examinations, biopsy or surgical procedures for further evaluation. Lung screening may also lead to the detection of other unrelated diseases. The detection of these abnormalities is a benefit of low-dose CT scanning for lung cancer; however, it may lead to additional testing, treatment and cost. These factors should be considered before the decision is made to undergo screening.
- This screening will show if a pulmonary nodule is present, but it alone cannot determine if the nodule is malignant or benign. This may require further follow up with a physician who may be your primary care provider or this service may be provided by our multidisciplinary team.
About this procedure:
- There is no special preparation for this procedure. There are no restrictions on food and drink. You do not need to fast or get an injection.
- Keep to your regular medication schedule prescribed to you by your doctor, and let us know what medications you have taken prior to your test.
- Please arrive at Imaging Department, 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment time.
- You will be asked to change into a hospital gown. You might be asked to remove any items and all jewelry that might interfere with the scan.
- If you have had a previous chest CT at another hospital, please notify your doctor.
- The examinations approximately 10 minutes, but the actual scanning less than 2 minutes.
Post Procedure consideration:
- You have no restrictions after having a scan and can go about your normal activities.
- A radiologist will read your scan and send your doctor a report. Your doctor will notify you of the results and coordinate follow-up if needed.
- Please make an appointment prior to using the service at Advance Diagnostic Centre Tel. 02-022-0700
- Please present a confirmation E-mail with order ID (payment reference) to our staff before using the service
- This package cannot be exchanged for cash